Monday, September 8, 2014

Minecraft Quests-Acropolis and MineDraft.

 Why do I feel Minecraft is an educational ninja's favorite tool? Well, it sneaks around and drops educational ninja mind nuggets all up in your business! Before you know it, you've learned while playing. .  How many outer columns does the Parthenon in the Athenian Acropolis have? 46-whoooshhh NINJA! BOOM, learned something new ninja-learn.  At least that is how I felt.



I found myself researching, the number of columns and measurements and I also started to look at the Minecraft units of measurement and found a great site on minecraft.gamepedia.com



I originally wanted to undertake this lesson and build a scale version of the Acropolis. I decided that bite was much more than I could chew. If you search buildings that are to 1:1 in minecraft like I did you become wildly obsessed with how far some users are going. For example http://www.techspot.com/news/55914-developer-creating-11-replica-model-of-manhattan-with-minecraft-blocks.html this is an article about a 1:1 replica model of MANHATTAN! I am inspired by the time and dedication. So inspired I spent more time looking at their work then producing mine ha. Simply amazing stuff out there.  So, I was not going to be undertaking the 1:1 scale but I did want to represent the signature columns with accuracy.  The columns are 34.1 ft tall, and a Minecraft block is approximately 3.28 feet in length. I found myself with a calculator undertaking measurements and math like a modern day Minecraft Bob the builder. Bear in mind, math was/is the weakest of my subjects, so weak I was put into remedial Math in grade school. Beyond econometrics for economics, I'm lost so lost I may count on my fingers under the dinner table at a restaurant to figure out a tip. (when I write "I may" do that, it is a safe assumption, that I do that ALL the time ahah).   Here I was doing it b/c it was fun and I wanted to! I day dreamed I just heard Mr. Kurchurak my high school math teacher spit out his coffee in a really long drawn out spitting of coffee like action when I wrote "I was doing math for fun"..                        
← like that. Not Mr. Kurchurak. hahah.  












Here was what I used as a model:

 

Here are my images from the quest:

Firs the Draft from MineDraft for the MineDraft:

Here are the results:











No comments:

Post a Comment