Monday, January 27, 2014

SS Galaxy Tour

Identify the purposes, programs, and social aspects of this virtual space.  If possible, interview residents or leaders of the sim to learn as much as possible.

The website attached was not functional for me. I however did google the SS galaxy and found myself here: 
I learned that the SS Galaxy is an extensive social environment where second lifers can rent out space for meetings and gatherings. Below is a picture taken from a Christmas party
 
Which upon hearing that you could pay real life money for Linden Dollars (Second Life Currency) to use a virtual world space, kind of gave me a mind blown moment. However, the more I looked into the offerings and information the more mind completely blown moments I started have. Lets start with wedding packages!  Yea, if you were to tell me you can pay to have a virtual wedding I probably would have said your off your rocker. Turns out I'm off MY rocker for underestimating the power of virtual worlds and those who live within them. I guess the term second 'life' is as accurate as it comes. From vacation cabin rentals to weddings the SS Galaxy has a solid business model and offers something realistically unique in a virtual environment. After the mind blown moments wore off, I kind of thought of how interesting it would be to have some business students set up a business card exchange in a virtual world as practice for setting up and event planning an actual business card exchange. Then the whole thing made sense. The idea of creating a sandbox of virtual world possibilities.  Now that I learned about the SS Galaxy, I really wanted to explore it. I was about to learn more hands on but, the SS Galaxy is quite exclusive and not at all Noob friendly. I tried to teleport there directly from the 3D game lab link when I was stopped upon entry and kindly asked to leave given my low Second Life age. I then tried the secondary link and was given a warning to comply with leaving the area again given my second life age. I'm starting to really think I have no concept or idea how much of a secondary culture with laws, bylaws, and ethics second life has created. It is very interesting to me to get a glimpse of this world. 

I think for those unfamiliar with the premise of second life they may dismiss the SS galaxies purpose as just a money making scheme to get players to buy Lindens with real money. I disagree. I think they are offering something that people want. I think they are fully taking on the role of a secondary universe. I think the social aspect that emerges from this type of destination is where the players engage in a fully operational role play. Whether they take the honeymooner package or business meeting, players fully immerse themselves in their character. This immersion is what  the draw for players truly is.  I came away from this assignment with a new found respect of the niche the Second Life developers have found for themselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment