Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Temple Portunus

For this assignment quest we were tasked with exploring the recreation of the Temple Portunus identify its purposes, programs, and social aspects of this virtual space 




Upon following the link and entering the roman like destination I was struggling to find  its purpose. I went in with a notion that it was maybe a historical tour or history of the Temple of Portunus. What I found was a little different. It seems to be a arts and fashion destination. The store is full of Second Life clothing dedicated to players who like to look fashionable.
 
 
 
 
 
 I was looking around the store when I found something really interesting. Tucked in the front corner of temple turned fashion boutique was a saying. "The Grandmaster of the '900 -Let yourself embrace the art.  The Art that makes life beautiful. Even if you do not do a good life".  signed Mexi Lane What does it mean for this destination? I have no idea, in my opinion this destination is very art centric.



Then I found the photo contest through flicker with a real life reward for winning.  Here is the set up from the photo contest notecard

"So I decided to organize a small photo contest, where the winner will win a beautiful book dedicated to Bruno Munari with attached DVD, the most recent publication of the Libraries of Rome."



Very interesting way to engage a audience and hold a photo contest.  I spoke to Vivanhouston and she described the contest as a project that was started in SL to recreate a real life picture. 

The social aspect of this site is to bring aspiring photo artists together for a contest and common goal in a virtual space. Given the size and scope of second life it is a pretty big undertaking with a lot of potential. Interesting way to touch base with potential personal learning network contacts and centers of influence that share your passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment