Friday, July 12, 2013

Digital Divide/Digital Inequality



Digital Divide/Digital Inequality

This assignment was a great experience. Looking at the digital divide globally and then localizing that information was a difficult task at first.  I started by digesting the global information found in the 2013 ICT report.  After reading the ICT report, I was excited to see a narrowing global divide as compared to previous years, with the biggest shock coming from Africa's growth.  Looking at Africa's inequality numbers shrink and telecommunications infrastructure grow from 2008 until now, was a great take away from the article.  Once I digested the global information, I began to work on what I face locally. I knew as soon as I read the requirements for this assignment I was going to use non-traditional students as my focal point for inequality.  In my voice thread, I detail the sense of unpreparedness students feel their first semester because of computer and technology integration.   My solution is two parts. The first part is additional tutoring and workshop resources for computer and technology basics. The second part is class scheduling.

 This topic has been in debate at my school for some time now. A major obstacle we continue to face in conversation is the concern over mandating an introduction to computers class for all students their first semester.  Another digital divide problem arises if we do so because students already proficient in computers could feel bored or unchallenged.  The suggestion I made are still the ones I feel will help in our particular inequality issues.   With the presentation I created, I hope to show it campus wide and gain support to push for an overall course scheduling change.





No comments:

Post a Comment