Sunday, July 14, 2013

Mid Point Blogging thoughts this summer


One key point to note is I am brand new to blogging. Until recently, I have not embraced its potential nor thought of myself as someone who would enjoy it.  I enjoy reading much more than I enjoy writing. Compared to my peers in the education world my writing ability is standard and at times below standard. I write colloquially and that has made for a very frustrating ride when attempting papers and writing assignments. Now an interesting personal transformation is beginning. Blogging created an avenue for me to write where I did not feel forced into topics or agendas. That has helped me begin my journey to being a better blogger and writer at my own pace. An additional benefit to blogging is the new world of information that has opened up for me. I enjoy international politics, business, and economics as a hobby and the hardest part about staying properly informed is finding balanced, vetted information. I do not take one source as the know-it-all of the story, but rather, I take their information and try to create a pattern of truth from other sources. Before I entered the blogging world, my sources would be individual twitter accounts, major news outlets, magazine subscriptions, and current event lectures. With blogging much like twitter, I can now reference those involved in global issues personally. While I know there is a level of fiction to some of the writing in the blogosphere, the news and thoughts I have found on individual and community blogs has allowed me to cross-reference information on a very different platform than before.   Indeed, the great beauty of blogs is their versatility. They cater for a wide diversity of interests and uses. (Williams & Jacobs, 2004)
Between community and individual blogs, I am overwhelmed by just how many bloggers are out there sharing personal, humanitarian, and global issues.  As someone who can never have enough information, I’ve found blogging to be an incredible source.  I would have to say my midpoint thoughts for my summer blogging experience are very high and increasing weekly.

Reference
  Williams, J., & Jacobs, J. (2004). Exploring the use of blogs as learning spaces in the higher education sector. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 20(2), 232-247.

No comments:

Post a Comment