Sunday, July 28, 2013

School Evaluation Summary

Activity Reflection:

I must say I've become a little critical of my particular campus in the past week or so since this survey brought some questions to light.  I started by reaching out to the stakeholders involved in our day to day operations. Coming off the news of a second year with no merit increases, the staff and faculty issues I encountered  were of frustration not only on a personal level but on a student success level as well. The merit increases usually coincides with a good or bad budget for operations, no merit increases means a lean budget with little flexibility.  Many people involved and committed to helping the students feel we have inadequate resources set up. The theory is to stay just ahead of current industry standards so students graduate prepared for any new concepts, theories, and technology they'll be using in their chosen professions. The feeling is with the severity of budget constraints and fiscal irresponsibility, we've fallen behind that curve.  I have kept my reservations about coming out and saying that but based on this research the facts are hard to hide at this point.  Part of me understands the business of education, but that doesn't take the sting out of our results.

On a positive side, there are small quickly implemented fixes that can benefit the students immediately. During my time with this project I've uncovered some communication avenues that will help students and staff stay updated with all committee meeting minutes and notes in a more timely fashion.  There is a lot that our school does right and a lot that can be improved upon. Again, the business of education often takes center stage. In times where you're asked to quantify those feelings with a survey and results, those lines can be blurred. I've thoroughly enjoyed this project and can now work to make and suggest improvements that have been brought to attention.

Google drive links located below:

Maturity Benchmark Survey

School Evaluation Summary

No comments:

Post a Comment