Saturday, June 29, 2013

EDTECH Research

EDTECH Research Assignment

Hello Everyone!

During this assignment I have learned two things about myself. The first thing I learned is, I write like I speak and that makes for A LOT of confusing sentence structure when proof reading haha. The second is walking away from the paper and returning the next day will reveal a whole new paper your eyes were not seeing the previous night.  This of course is all good stuff to me, stuff I can build on and work on.  With that said, I've also come to realize that research papers maybe more accessible today then in any other point in history.   I would hope when writing and researching the same ease of access is being used to argue against the topic or theory we have in mind as well as supporting it. Never before has it been so easy to gather information on our topics that today's academic writing should truly reflect a three hundred sixty degree approach. An approach that covers not just what the writers wants us to believe but also alternative information and statistics that shed light on both sides of the issue. That is one feature I plan to use a lot. Sometimes it is hard to get students to understand the hidden side to everything, or the alternative viewpoint that may not be the popular one. In economics  these viewpoints and alternatives are a major component of what the students should learn.

I found Google scholar to be user friendly and the search function to provide an abundance of results. There were times I questioned the formatting and other times the drop down menu seemed to switch back to MLA just for kicks on me.  One function I wouldn't mind seeing would be an Astrix or special annotation for original works. One article I was referencing was on the results page six times. Each time it had a different referencing format. Some formats were for web articles, some for journal, and one for a blog.  I know I could of used any of them, in my opinion it just would of helped to know which one was the first.

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment